Our colleague attorney Phillip Antablin recently joined a roundtable discussion hosted by Russell Beck, regarding California’s expanded anti-restrictive covenants laws under Business and Professions Code Section 16600.
Phillip joined as many as 50 restrictive covenant, trade secrets, and employee mobility lawyers from around the country to discuss:
- the amendments to Business and Professions Code Section 16600 the new notice requirement to current and former employees that their restrictive covenant is void;
- Section 16600’s application as a whole, including Section 16600 being applied in situations other than post-employment;
- Section 16600’s interplay with Labor Code Section 925 and other state’s application of Section 16600 and choice of law and forum clauses;
- the application of the statutory exceptions to Section 16600 (sale of a business and dissolution of partnerships or LLCs);
- Section 16600’s application in business-to-business dealings; and
- other proposed legislation that progressed through the legislature but was eventually tabled but may be brought up again in the future.
Watch the roundtable video below or on YouTube.